Friday, August 5, 2011

Hello

Ooh, I hate first blog posts. Feels stilted. So here's the gist:

I'm 41, pregnant for the 2nd time, I weighed 262 pounds this morning. This morning at 7am, my blood pressure was 125/76. This is too high. With my last pregnancy, 6 years ago, I had pregnancy induced hypertension. I ended up being on bed rest, then being induced, then having a c-section anyway. I also started my pregnancy weighing 12 pounds less.

My goal is to lose more weight if I can, but definitely to avoid gaining a lot of weight (I gained about 40 pounds last time). My other goal is to get my blood pressure under control and avoid drugs (which I did not have to take last time, but my bp was relatively normal until midway through).

I'm going with a plant-based diet. Plant strong, that's me. I'm following the diet in Eat to Live, by Dr. Joel Furhman and adding 2oz of nuts daily, plus the occasional bit of avocado for healthy fats. I am avoiding sugar, caffeine, salt, animal products.

I realize that I could just do this and the story would play out however it will. But I've been looking online for someone who has already been through what I'm going through - over 40, overweight, trying a plant-based diet to avoid pregnancy complications and to get healthier. I can't find her.

So I will become her.

I will write my story here. I'll give my stats, info on what I'm eating, and resources that I find, etc.

I expect that some people may find this and not understand. They might tell me that the baby needs meat. This is not true. If you believe that and want to bring me your negative energy, please read Eat to Live and The China Study and then get back with me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment